Thursday, March 20, 2008

Hopes and Death

Last evening, once again I heard the flutters in false ceiling of my office - somehow, a pigeon had gotten in through the ducts. After tolerating it for a day, I decided to call in house keeping, and a few mins later, the scared baby pigeon was in our hands.

It didn't feel like it could fly off the fourth floor gallery, so we decided to take it to the ground floor. We let it go, but it just went round and round on the floor, unable to fly. Leaving it there would have made it a nice feast for one of the Persistent cats... so we got it back in a box, and it spent the whole afternoon in my office. I let it free, but instead of walking around, it just rested against the box, switching legs, resting on one and then the other, dozing off.

By 645, I left for home, the pigeon in the box in the back seat. We had a long weekend coming up, and I wanted to take care of it, and let it go once it grew some strength. The vet had suggested it might simply be scared, and a night's rest would be all that it needed.
As soon as I reached home, I took out the pigeon - I hadn't informed Sanam she would have a new pet soon.

The pigeon lay dead in the box.

No comments: