Sunday, October 05, 2008

Reading...

I am currently reading an interesting mix of books I bought the other day...

Robert Ludlum's latest Bourne novel, the Bourne Sanction, written by Eric Van Lustbader... isn't it interesting, after your death, someone else writes using your characters, and kinda uses your name and reputation to drive it? Anyway, the plots and the narrative is pretty much similar, and I enjoy reading it, so it's fair, I guess

The Mahabharata by C. Rajagopalachari. Interesting book, nice, clean narrative. He starts with a background of the epic, how it was narrated by Vyasa to Ganapati on the promise that he wouldn't take breaks or pauses, unless Ganapati himself needed time to absorb and understand what he was dictating, and how he used some complicated stanzas to slow down Ganapati when he needed time to compose upcoming stanzas :) He also talks about how other reciters and learned men used Mahabharata to propogate their own teachings, knowing that they would survive only when amalgamated with something as big as the epic...

What they don't teach you at Harvard Business School by Mark McCormack. I have always loved this book, it's anecdote based style and easy language making it a beautiful experience, compared to some of those dull, long winded management books. I had last read this book almost a decade ago, and thought it was worth a relook. I am looking forward to seeing how different my perspectives are now, after all this time in the industry.

And finally, a book Cognitive Psychology. Psychology has always fascinated me, the science of how our mind works and why we do what we do. And from all the branches of psychology, I think cognitive psychology is the most exciting. I know I cannot imagine to fathom all of it, but this is one book I am definitely very excited to explore!

1 comment:

arati kadav said...

i actually bought mahabharata - amar chitra katha and am reading it and totally loving it.