Sunday, July 13, 2008

Movie Review: Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na

JTYJN is the story of two platonic best friends, Jai and Aditi, who call each other Meow and Rats, and don't know they are in love, until they decide to find the "perfect" life partners for each other.

Directed by the very young Abas Tyrewalla, JTYJN is a very refreshing and heart-warming movie, just perfect for today's generations. It's fun, it's clean, and it shows how today's teenagers do not need to smoke, drink or lose control to have fun.

The strength of the movie is undoubtedly in it's characters, and the beautiful expression of feelings. The cast is just perfect, and I cannot think of another movie where I have been touched by so many characters so deeply. Whether it is Aditi's grief behind the death of her pet cat and the happiness when she sees her new kitten, the feelings of possessiveness and jealousy in their eyes when they see their best friend falling in love with someone else, the ecstasy at being reunited, the exchange between Aditi's kid brother and her about how she was always his only friend, every scene touches you deep down in the heart, makes you identify so much with it, that dialogues are sometimes redundant. Fantastic stuff!

The music is catchy and very fun. The title track Tu Bole Main Boluun is picturized as a beautiful video collage of their relationship set against the lilting strains of the seventies Chicago musicals, the DCH-reminiscent Nazrein Milaana Nazrein Churaana superbly showcases the development of Jai's relationship with his new girlfriend and Aditi's exploration of her true feelings for him. Kahin To Hogi Woh will make you sing with joy and sadness at the same time, and is one song you can put on repeat loop and hear over and over again, and never get enough of. Kabhi Kabhi Aditi Zindagi is perfect for those times when you feel down and out. Pappu Can't Dance isn't nearly as much in my list of favourites, but it's a fun number and will make you smile. Interestingly, the songs add tremendously to the story, not just "fitting in" somehow - the movie couldn't have been as effective without the songs.

The characters, as I said earlier, are the absolute strength of the movie. I can't say enough about the freshness and the joy exuded by Genelia D'Souza. She's stunningly beautiful, has an awesome wardrobe that brings out the best in her in every shot. Her strength is in her expressions though - and her slightly "different" accent and delivery just adds the icing on the cake. I am totally fida on her. Imran Khan is a stunner. I am definitely not gay, but I just loved the guy. He's sincere, he's handsome, he's cute, and he's good! There are a few scenes where he comes across as slightly raw newcomer, but he is definitely on top of the expectations in most of the movie's difficult scenes. His expressions, dialogue delivery and look is just perfect. What any dad would love his son to be! Watch out for this guy - he will rule Bollywood in the years to come, post SRK :)

The supporting cast is fantastic too! From Aditi and Jai's friend circle (loved one of them - guess who), to the sweet cameo played by Naseeruddin as Jai's father. From Aditi's brother - I loved that character too! - to the crazy pots played by the Khan brothers Sohail and Arbaaz. Jai's girlfriend - stunningly sexy and sweet at the same time, to Aditi's fiance - handsome, strong and very hunky, attractive yet hateable as you get to know him better. Right down to the kitten and the mouse! Nothing could have been cast better.

One of the very best movies I have seen... a must-have for my DVD collection.

1 comment:

Harsha Kumar said...

I can't find enough words to describe this movie..
I'm actually having a tough time commenting right now, because I definitely want to do justice to this piece of art :)

Let me start with what I loved the most - The fact that the movie was dreamy! I'll never believe that the innocence portrayed really exists, and I guess that's what's truly endearing about it - that the movie makes it believable! I think the setting was absolutely perfect - starting out with this girl, who does not believe in Love and this bunch of enthusiastic kids all set to narrate the Love Story of Rats and Meow.. and doing a fantastic job at it, enough to get her excited about them and their story.. The progressive rise in her curiosity is very well portrayed and practically is inline with, I'm sure, that of the audience..

The songs, as you said, are all Great Numbers and very well placed throughout the movie, only adding to the soft, mushy feeling that the flick leaves you with! My personal favorites are "Zindagi Meri Mujhse" - made me cry :P, "Pappu can't dance" - always makes me dance:) and "Dil Kabhi Ganda" - delightfully true :P

I'm smiling as I think about the movie and I guess that summarizes it well. The movie isn't over once you're out of that hall. It stays with you. For Quite Some Time :)..
Hey, "Picture Abhi Baki Hai", kinda fits here ;)