Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Changing Times

During my first trip to the US, I was fascinated by things that seemed so common there, and yet, completely new to India - vending machines, for example. Limos were another phenomenon that spellbound me. How in the world could someone drive something that long? And the police - those sexy uniforms, the flashing lights...

Things are changing here now...

On Saturday, I saw my first Merc Limo in Pune. I envy, and pity, the driver! I have problems squeezing my simple sedan in the traffic sometimes - how in the world does he manage his train?

Later in the evening, we were trying to cross this busy junction that was saturated with traffic after a politician's motorcade had just crossed by. Along comes this sexy police bike with lights flashing on its leg guards, tells me to follow him, stops traffic for us, and sees us through! Wow :) Now I know why those politicians love their motorcades!

We went for dinner to Green Park - and guess what, we had this electric buggy picking us up from the parking lot to transport us to the lobby!



And today, Mumbai gets its own icon - the Worli Sea Link. An amazing structure that I have blogged about before - an engineering marvel that will provide all Mumbaikars something to be really proud of. Can't wait to go and check it out for myself!

1 comment:

Ray said...

Loved it. The Bandra-Worli Sea Link (or the BWSL, as the Americans would christen it) is big, marvelous and hopefully marks the beginning of India as a construction giant for infrastructure projects.

Most importantly, I am proud of Mumbai, that finally a project of this stature finally saw the light of the day in what is arguably India's most famous city.