Friday, August 14, 2009

Clap Clap to the Government

We rarely appreciate the working of our government, but I want to make sure we take a moment to do so today.

In a country like ours, I think the government has done a fantastic job in reassuring the citizens, and taking measures to control the spread of the swine flu virus.

After days of TV channels freaking people out, the government clamped down and asked them to toe the line. And suddenly, Times Now is now focussing on the heroes of Pune, the release of Kaminey, the North Korean ship "stranded" in Indian waters, Saina's loss in the QF, three Mumbai cops-turned-criminals, the BJP fight and so on... life quickly seems to be back to normal agian :)

Have you thought how difficult this task must be? We expect the government to take control. Have you thought of what it will mean in a country like ours?

And it's not just the flu, right? Terror - tomorrow is Independence Day, remember? And the newly setup NIA made some important arrests today. The army has gunned down 4 Huji militants in Jammu. Wonder how many terror attacks are thwarted by our armed forces - and we never know!

And then we have the recession. A failed monsoon. And we expect the government to take control and solve the problems.

On the occasion of Independence Day, let us take a moment to think about what we expect from our government, how much we contribute to the solutions AND the problems, and let us say a silent thanks to the countless men and women who work so hard behind the scenes so that we can go about having a safe and happy life as free citizens of this great country!

6 comments:

Akshar said...

We have to celebrate the Independence day in the shades of Terror is in itself a testimony to the fact that the government doesn't deserve a clap clap.

Media has completely lost it, no doubt, but blaming media while clapping for government is like giving government an opportunity to bring some sort of "control" over media. Something they always tried to do right from Indira days.

Yes, I too want to clap. Clap for those who pay the highest cost, the cost of their life to compensate for the mistakes that government does. But then when I clap, I am sure the khadi clad crows are going to take the credit.

yes, I thank all those honest and competent government staff there who works without any expectations. They deserve claps.

Every independence day comes with a hope, which Ghalib has summarized beautifully

एक बराह्मण ने कहा कि ये साल अच्छा है
ज़ुल्म की रात बहुत जल्द टलेगी अब तो
आग चुल्हों में हर इक रोज़ जलेगी अब तो
भूख के मारे कोई बच्चा नहीं रोएगा
चैन की नींद हर इक शख्स़ यहां सोएगा
आंधी नफ़रत की चलेगी न कहीं अब के बरस
प्यार की फ़सल उगाएगी जमीं अब के बरस
है यहीं अब न कोई शोर-शराबा होगा
ज़ुल्म होगा न कहीं ख़ून-ख़राबा होगा
ओस और धूप के सदमें न सहेगा कोई
अब मेरे देश में बेघर न रहेगा कोई

नए वादों का जो डाला है वो जाल अच्छा है
रहनुमाओं ने कहा है कि ये साल अच्छा है

दिल के ख़ुश रखने को गालिब ये ख़याल अच्छा है

Siddhesh said...

If I had to sit at home scared because it's independence day, I'd tend to give your suggestion a thought. But no, inspite of all the money our neighbours are pouring into the terror networks, inspite of all the Baitullahs and the Bin Ladens, I enjoy my movies, my shopping, my dining out, my picnics, my job, and my life. Yes in a country as vast as ours, the bad men get a bomb to explode once in a while... but then where does it not happen, man? US? UK? Spain? Australia?

And no, I am not asking the government to clamp down on the media. And as I said in my post, yes, maybe the panic created did have a positive impact in some sense... it scared people into taking the flu seriously. But I am sure better dissemination of the right information by the media could have worked more effectively! Just like it seems to be happening now, with the government having issued guidelines to the news channels. Just like the anti-terror operations during 26/11 could have potentially finished off much faster if the media hadn't gone overboard in giving min by min details about deployment of the forces!

Running the country is no mean feat, and inspite of all the negatives, I do think this government and the much-amligned bureacracy is doing an amazing job!

If I could run my small team more effectively, I'd have the guts and the right to demand more. Until then, I am going to try and do better and learn a bit from those who have!

And the first step towards that is appreciating the good work others are doing.

Shruti said...

I agree with you 100% Siddhesh. Great post.

I am going to link this post of yours off of my blog, just cos I couldn't have put it in any better way. I hope you do not mind. Just want people I know to read this and give the appreciation where it is truly due.
Happy Independence Day.

Akshar said...

:)

I am not sure why, the relevance might be dubious but I remembered following two C&H comics after I read ur reply.

http://www.marcellosendos.ch/comics/ch/1992/02/19920210.gif

http://www.marcellosendos.ch/comics/ch/1992/02/19920211.gif

If they dont convey a point they certainly do provide a smile!

Siddhesh said...

Couldn't get to the comic link :( Can you post that again?

And yes, I love Calvin :)

Siddhesh said...

Shruti, thanks, and yes, feel free to link to it, I don't mind at all :)

By the way, truth be known, I don't have anyone in politics or in the government :) And I have NO PLANS right now to contest...