Sunday, September 06, 2009

Is One Way a Good Idea?

JM and FC Roads have recently been made one way, leading to rotary traffic in the area. There have been some praises and mostly brickbats for the police, so I decided to see for myself.

The drive along JM then onto FC and all the way to Agriculture College was very fast and smooth, and took less than half the time it usually takes. With all the road width available and very little cross traffic, there's very less need for traffic signals, and no snarls at junctions.

At the same time, the half-removed dividers need to be taken out completely, lanes need to be marked, footpaths can get much broader, and finally, pedestrian crossings and signals need to be installed.

Here's hoping that better sense prevails and the plan moves forward rather than backward!

2 comments:

Harsha Kumar said...

I have mixed opinions about this one. On the one hand, I like that the traffic moves much faster and that a parking space is easier to find. However, I dislike the fact that there is only one way to get out of FC Road. Earlier I could take a U-turn and head back home or go to office. Now if I happen to go far down FC Road, I'll have to take a much longer route. Unlike MG road, FC road is very long and has fewer exit points. The ones that are there are equally crowded too. So for me, it's a tough call. I'm not sure if the one way idea is good or bad..

Siddhesh said...

Oh come on, if you at Wadeshwar, you can turn left opposite Rupali. If you parked beyond, then you can take right opposite FC main gate and then hit JM. Further up, take the next right near Haka, and further up, left to Model or right to Modern College. Then you have another couple of left turns, or you hit Agriculture college and more options :)