Sunday, October 21, 2012

What Is Krishna?

Chapter 10 of the Gita provides a fantastic peek into what is regarded as all-powerful and important in Hinduism. In the chapter, Arjun, finally realizing that Krishna is the supreme being, asks him to elaborate more on his divinity.

Krishna lists out some of his glorious powers, reminding Arjun that it is impossible to list all.

He says, among other things, "Discrimination, wisdom, understanding,  pleasure, pain, courage, honor and dishonour, nonviolence, charity, contentment - all the qualities of living creatures have their origin in me.

The seven great sages and the four ancient ancestors were born from my mind and received my powers.

Among the gods, I am Vishnu. I am the sun, in the night sky, I am the moon. Among the scriptures I am the Sam Veda. Among the lesser Gods, I am Indra. Among Pandavas, I am Arjun. Among mountains I am Meru, among rivers, I am the Ganga.

Among words, I am OM. Among letters, I am the letter A.

Among animals, the lion, among birds, the garuda.

I am the logic in those who debate."

Interestingly, he also says I am the gambling in gamblers. And he promises Arjun, that anyone who believes in him, will be a sadhu and be delivered from evil - even the sinners (the idea, obviously, is to make sure even criminals seek god at some point in time, and hopefully, turn a new leaf!).


No comments: