Wednesday, November 02, 2016

Movie Review: Ae Dil Hai Mushkil

I didn't want to watch this movie. Nothing to do with Fawad (I actually loved him in Kapoor and Sons!), but really because I got turned off by the entire controversy, dragging the army into it, and the eventual capitulation by the producers, which was such a shame. Then I thought, heck, what and who am I taking a stand against anyway? It's just a movie. The politicians will play their part, especially with elections around the corner.

Or maybe because I've never been a great fan of Ranbir, or of Aishwarya. But then Anushka Sharma (never been my favorite, but I have to admit, she's done some fantastic roles lately in NH10, DDD) was a plus, and when SRK has a cameo, how could I say no, really?

Sometimes in life, you do make mistakes. Maybe, this was one of them.

To be honest, the first half was actually OK. Quite pacy, and enjoyable, if you keep low expectations from everyone. The second half is all downhill into a deep crevice from where there is no coming back. A muddled storyline, insipid dialogues, and a very predictable and stretched ending makes this a very mushkil watch as the minutes drag on.

On the plus side, some of the numbers are beautiful and will stay on my play list for a very long time. SRK mouths some memorable dialogues in the 3 min he is on screen, Lisa Haydon is sexy and funny, and Fawad simply takes your breath away. Anushka is dependable, for most part. Ranbir is also tolerable, for most part. Aishwarya looks good, sometimes (especially when she is the model instead of the actress).

Oh, and there are a bunch of other cameos too. I think I saw Alia in one shot!

Now that Diwali is over, maybe ADHM isn't such a bad idea.

No comments: