Sunday, November 26, 2006

My First Post from Google Docs

This post came out of my first attempt at using Google Docs.

My experiences:

  1. Pretty fast (I was on standard broadband connection)
  2. Checking spellings is an explicit step - the incorrect spellings are marked out, and you get a drop down list of suggestions (Ajax-enabled of course!)
  3. You can compare and go back to various versions of the document - but it was a little buggy. Expect it to be fine soon.
  4. Collaborate is a cool feature - you can actually share and do online editing with other people. Couldn't test it out - but seems a great idea!
  5. Allows you to download the document in various formats including Word, PDF and HTML - very neat!
  6. Did not see support for templates and other stuff which one is so used to with Word
  7. You can post directly to your blog

So how does it compare with Office? Well, the new Office 12 is way, way ahead of the earlier Office as we knew it. For example, with the kind of customization possible, Word is now not just an editor, but a complete application development framework! Would I use Google Docs? I would if I was stuck in a cyber cafe without Office installed. But for the serious stuff, come on - are you serious?

ps: The doc did get posted, but not after giving me some anxious moments - and as you can see, I posted it in the wrong blog :)

1 comment:

Harsha Kumar said...

He he... Yup - Belongs to Musings :)