Sunday, June 30, 2013

Catrina's Scary Incident

Rating Guidance: Will be disturbing to sensitive readers, please avoid

We had a very scary episode with Catrina last weekend... that ended well, and taught us a lot, but was upsetting as hell while it lasted.

We had come back from a movie late at night, and Catrina happily met us at the stairs and ran ahead of us to the door, like she usually does when she is out when we arrive. We noticed what looked like a bit of red swelling/blood in her backside - and assumed she had been cathandled by a not-so-gentle lover.

Like most nights, I switched on the TV and the laptop, while I assumed she went to bed. It was one of the unusually long nights for me, working as I was on my blog, and around 300 am, I got up to get some thing to nibble from the kitchen. That's when I first noticed the blood on the kitchen floor... and then in the hall, on the sofa, and with growing horror, I realized Catrina had been bleeding pretty heavily all over the house, as she went from corner to corner, trying to find some place to hide and be alone, knowing she was dirtying the house (like cats usually do - they hate to be sick in public - and that's one of the reasons many cats die - they simply aren't around for the treatment when they are ill). The worst was the bathroom, like a scene straight out of a murder thriller. I tracked her down cowering in the balcony, with her entire lower body dripping blood.

It took me until 430 am to first wipe her clean with cotton pads, as much as I could, and then sterilize clean the entire house, getting rid of the ferrous heavy smell of blood.

By then, she seemed to have stopped bleeding, so I let her be, and went to bed, hoping she was gonna be alright.

First thing in the morning, we got the vet. He said there could be one on many reasons for why cats bleed out from their anus - poisoning from pesticides or insects, or by eating sharp edged grass, or any other stomach/intestinal infection. Thankfully, she had stopped bleeding by then, and was pretty fine by late evening on Sunday. Just took me a lot of time trying to make her have her meds!

No comments: